Do you believe your thoughts have the power to transform your life?
Self-care is a gift of compassion and kindness we give to ourselves. Practicing self-care is an opportunity to embrace all of who we are to live more fulfilling lives. Our mental wellbeing is an essential part of self-care. We’ll begin this month’s series on self-care by focusing on our thinking.
A few years ago, I started walking as part of my self-care routine. Every morning, two thoughts run through my mind… one tells me how hard it is, or it’s too cold out there.
Do you know what’s crazy? On some mornings, I’ll even hear raindrops on the roof.
But the second thought reminds me why I walk. I enjoy the benefits of being spiritually fulfilled and centered for the rest of the day.
I consider my morning walk as a date with the Lord. My thoughts influence my choice of whether to go for a walk daily. Our thinking affects our mindset, including our beliefs, emotions, and attitudes. These, in turn, determine our behavior and results.
Do you see the connection?
As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. Proverbs 23:7
Any day I listen to the thoughts that I am too tired or too cold, I miss out on my walking routine, and my day ends up in a blah.
What are you thinking, and where are they taking you?
Whether we are sad, happy, or contented, our thoughts shape the quality of our lives. Happy, optimistic thoughts allow us to seize new opportunities. Sad and negative thoughts limit us. They make us want to stay in bed and miss out on opportunities.
We must change our thoughts if we want to be fulfilled and pursue our purpose. Monitoring our thoughts is a good practice. It is loving ourselves and honoring God.
Our thoughts are the very core of our lives. They influence our emotions, behaviors, actions, and results.
3 Practical ways to change your thoughts and transform your life.
- Bring awareness to your thinking. Ask yourself, what am I thinking, and how is it helping me? By being aware of your thoughts, you can choose to act differently and let go of unhelpful thoughts.
- Reframe your thinking. Practice positive affirmations. Have you ever felt a nudge to do something outside of your comfort zone? What thoughts came to mind as you pondered this new idea? Perhaps your thoughts are, this idea is nuts, and I am not cut out for it!
- Reframe your thoughts: True, I haven’t done something like this before, so I expect some anxiety. I won’t know if I can do it or not if I don’t try. I will start, and if needed, I will get help.
- Practice positive affirmations: You can encourage yourself with inspirational quotes and scripture verses.
- Visualize the desired outcome. After my morning walk, I feel centered and energized to start my day. I can focus and accomplish my goals. Whether it is going for a walk or learning a new skill, imagine how you want to feel when you achieve your goals. Visualization is a powerful motivator.
Which thoughts do you entertain? Where do you focus your thoughts?
Our thoughts shape our lives. The ideas we entertain will influence our attitudes, behaviors, and destiny! Before we act, let’s slow down and evaluate the thoughts behind it!
Friend, do you want to walk in your destiny? We will gain freedom from fear, anxiety, and negativity as we pay attention to our thinking. Change your thoughts, transform your life!
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2